COVID-19 Volunteer Guidelines
For the health safety of our volunteers, their families, and our
all volunteers should be healthy and fully vaccinated two weeks prior to the event
For the September 11th event, your vaccination should be completed by August
Please DO NOT volunteer if, in the last 14 days, you or someone with whom you reside have:
- Had any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control,
- Received a positive COVID-19 test, or are waiting on COVID-19 test results,
- Been around anyone who has COVID-19,
- Been asked to quarantine (CDC Quarantine Guidelines), and/or
- Failed to follow recommended public health
protocols, including, among others, those regarding mask wearing, social distancing, and hand hygiene.
Please volunteer only if you have signed up to do so via our event SignUpGenius and are healthy, with no communicable illness or infection. Volunteering is not recommended if you, or someone
with whom you reside, are at high risk for developing severe COVID-19 illness.
All volunteers are required to wear a mask at all times.
Before signing in and beginning work, please disinfect your hands. Remember to wash/disinfect your hands thoroughly when you’re finished, and have fun!
- Wear your mask at all times. (Gaiters or masks with respiration valves
or vents are not permitted.)
- Clean and wash your hands (for a minimum of 20 seconds) before you sign in, during the event, and after volunteering . If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand
sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid physical contact with others and maintain a social distance of 6-10 feet when possible.
- Cover any sudden cough and sneezes with your elbow or tissue. (If you have a frequent or persistent cough or sneeze, please do not volunteer.)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Even with all of these precautions, Food For Neighbors is unable to guarantee that volunteers will not contract COVID-19 and/or other illnesses.
We encourage all FFN volunteers to download the COVID-wise app from the Virginia Department of Health to assist
with contact tracing if the need arises. Also, for additional information, please visit https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/schools-workplaces-community-locations/social-gatherings/ for
Has anything changed for Red Bag Donors?
Things will stay pretty much the same since our pickup process is already safe and contactless.
- Please remember to reply to the text to let us know if you're leaving a bag and don't forget to put your filled bag out
before 8:30 a.m. on pickup day.
- Please fill your Red Bag with the items on your bag tag grocery list.
- If your bag is not picked up by 10:30 on pickup day, click here.
- If you can't leave a bag, remember that you can always donate a virtual bag on our
- If you have other questions about the Red Bag Program, check out our Red Bag page and our FAQ page.
What do I need to know if I am a Driver Volunteer?
Your process should remain the same. We will be asking you and your team to wear masks and will provide you with
- PLEASE READ ALL TEXTS AND EMAILS CAREFULLY IN CASE THERE ARE ANY CHANGES TO THE PROCEDURES OR SOFTWARE. For
the purposes of planning, we need all drivers to respond in a timely manner. Thank you!
- Please wear a mask and do not exit your vehicle at the drop off site. A team of volunteers will unload your vehicle for you.
- The drop-off location may have changed in some areas - please double check where you are taking your food at the end of the route.
- All of that information will be communicated to you when you receive your route. Please read all the texts and emails carefully so you know when to start and
where to go.
Will there still be a need for Sorting Volunteers?
Yes! We need volunteers (in most areas and not as many). Sorting events will be much smaller in scale.
- We'll contact sorting volunteers via email with instructions (including a Sign-up Genius link) with everything you need to know.
- Please read all instructions and Covid guidelines carefully before you sign up.
- Please always check your email prior to an event. Plans can change quickly sometimes, and we will use email to communicate those changes.